Most orthopedic doctors are surgeons whose training and expertise revolves around a surgical approach. Therein lies the problem. In a recent study, as many as 80% of orthopedic surgeries have been found to be ineffective or fraught with negative long term outcomes, including: joint replacement, arthroscopic cleaning, spinal fusion, and repairs for shoulder labrum and meniscus tears.
At Atlanta Innovative Medicine, we aim to get you back to living life without surgery or the application of potentially toxic pain medication such as cortisone, which can cause tissue damage with a single large dose. We provide medication when needed. However, our primary focus is to identify the root cause of the problem and try to reverse it in part or entirely, because a joint or spine issue that is not treated properly will generally get worse with time.
Breaking the cycle of chronic pain
We understand you may have been to many other doctors. When dealing with chronic pain, patients often become skeptical and lose faith—and rightly so after dealing with multiple disappointments. If you have been told surgery is your only option, or you’ve tried other treatments with less than satisfactory results or the frequent use of pain medications, give us a call. Many of our success stories begin with a patient who has been dealing with a chronic pain issue that has plagued them for years. Often the patient has been to many other medical experts with little to no success.
A 5-minute exam is not enough
Our team spends 45 minutes to over an hour with each patient during the initial exam and evaluation. Each patient initially receives a Multi-Provider Evaluation (MPE) and appropriate imaging. We then have a team conference that includes up to eight (8) doctors, clinicians and therapists to fully assess the findings and create a detailed and comprehensive treatment plan.
It takes a team to win
This integrated, multidisciplinary treatment approach sets us apart and is essential to a patient’s successful outcome and recovery. It combines the expertise of many provider specialties, including:
- Sports Medicine
- Regenerative Medicine
- Non-Surgical Orthopedics
- Chiropractic/Osteopathic Medicine
- Active & Passive Physical Therapy
- Prescription Grade Homeopathic Injections
- Biotherapeutic Immunostimulant Therapy
Working together under one roof, our synergistic cooperation allows us to provide innovative treatments with exceptional outcomes. We meet regularly as a team to evaluate each patient’s progress and make adjustments to treatment plans as needed. This helps ensure we deliver the best possible results to each patient we see.
We are not perfect, but we AIM for it
You are a person deserving of respect and an empathetic ear. We make every effort to never waste your time or your money. We will explain and re-explain our evidence-based care to you. We will not only tell you but show you the medical dysfunction revealed in diagnostic imaging and explain how we arrived at our conclusions and recommendations.
It takes a combination of the best experience, techniques and technology to deliver personalized, patient-focused care. We do this with an unprecedented level of dedication for an experience that meets and exceeds your expectations. If for some reason we miss the mark, you always have access to our patient care managers whose role is to “make it right.”
“My shoulder is pain free after non surgical treatment.”
Atlanta Innovative Medicine offers autologous adipose for patients. This article focuses on the question we hear a lot: “I want to use my own tissue, would it be better with adipose or bone marrow?”
First of all, let’s clarify where the tissue is coming from. Adipose is the medical term for fat tissue, and doctors obtain it from a patient’s abdominal area or from the flank area just above the buttocks. The harvesting procedure involves taking out about 60cc’s of fat, so patients do get the benefit of a slight liposuction too.
During a bone marrow stem cell procedure, the tissue is obtained from an area known as the iliac crest which is close to the hip area in the pelvis. A large needle is placed into the bone using a small hammer, and about 60cc’s of bone marrow tissue is withdrawn.
When it comes to which patient’s tissue is superior for regenerative procedures, the answer is simple – ADIPOSE. Here are the top 5 reasons why:
- Amount of stem cells: Unlike a person’s bone marrow tissue, the amount of stem cells in adipose does not decrease with age (Dufrane et al. 2017). Adipose tissue contains millions of stem cells per cc harvested. This is not the case with bone marrow, where the amount of stem cells present decreases over 100 times by the age of 50. Why would you undergo a procedure where a stem cell has become a needle in a haystack?
- Activity of stem cells: Studies are very clear on this. When bone marrow is used, not only do the numbers of stem cells decrease significantly with age, but the activity of those cells does as well. Not so with adipose derived stem cells. They maintain substantial proliferation and differentiation capacities, meaning they are able to replicate and turn into cells the body needs for regeneration much better than those from bone marrow.
- Less Invasive: The adipose harvesting procedure is extremely well tolerated. The procedure is routinely performed in office, and the numbing medicine allows for minimal pain. This is in contrast to a bone marrow aspiration, where one large study showed significant procedural pain in 86% of patients. (JPSM 2003). Unfortunately, pain after a bone marrow aspiration often continues for weeks to months.
- Yield: If your goal is to have several joints treated, or possibly a joint along with an aesthetics procedure, then an adipose procedure will allow you to do that. But not bone marrow. There just isn’t enough of a “yield” to allow for that.
- Outcomes: Autologous adipose stem cell therapy has repeatedly shown amazing outcomes for chronic joint pain (Regen Med 2019). In addition, adipose harvesting produces excellent outcomes as well for aesthetic procedures including hair restoration (Current Stem Cell Research Therapy 2017), facial rejuvenation (Journal Cosmetic & Laser 2018) along with erectile dysfunction (Sex Med Rev 2019).
Atlanta Innovative Medicine serves the Atlanta metro area including Marietta, Sandy Springs, Roswell, Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Smyrna and surrounding areas with autologous adipose stem cell therapy.
The Atlanta stem cell providers are highly experienced, and AIM offers substantial additional services including physical therapy, chiropractic, PRP therapy, prolotherapy and supplements too. The treatment options are individualized for each patient.
Why is this important? Because while stem cell therapy provides a substantial amount of regenerative cells to problem areas, activating those cells optimally is another story. The Board Certified providers at AIM understand this. As a result of the combination therapy offered, stem cell treatment at the practice offers patients the best opportunity for improvement.
To schedule an appointment with our experienced stem cell doctors, call our clinic today at 770.416.9995.
- Advanced hybrid therapies, including Mesenchymal Stem Cell therapy combined with different mechanisms of action that synergistically come together to support ultimate healing
- More powerful PRP that’s customized, amplified and personalized
- Therapies delivered by an experienced, compassionate team comprised of multidisciplinary experts in traditional and alternative medicine working as your team: Medical Doctors, Nurse Practitioners, Physiotherapists and Chiropractors
- Advanced training through the American Academy of Orthopedic Medicine, the American Osteopathic Association of Prolotherapy Regenerative Medicine, and more
A Closer Look at Regenerative Medicine: Comparing Your Options.
By Farhan Malik, MD